Thursday, February 10, 2011

Overpopulated or just spoiled?

I find myself wondering sometimes if we as a species have over-populated the planet. Here in Los Angeles alone we have 3.8 million people living in 498.3 square miles. That's 7626 people per square mile or 3655 square feet per person which is a square with 60.5 feet per side.

Now per person you need power generation, water treatment, sewage treatment, roads, a place to work, a place to sleep, a place to heal, a place to grow/raise food, a place to vacation, a place to be buried, a place to give birth, etc.

Add to that the fact that this is a desert so you have to pump in the water we need and then pump out the waste. You need to pump oil from the ground and refine it for fuel, lubrication, etc. And I'm sure there are a thousand other things I'm not thinking of. Is the reason our country is falling apart because we have too many people?

Nope :^)

There are acres and acres of land in the country where there is nobody living. Yes you have weather to deal with but that's why they're called seasons. I have no idea why I have subjected myself and my family to this crap for 20 years. Okay, I just removed a couple of paragraphs from this post going down that road, but I kept it for another post. I hear people gripe and complain every day that they don't get paid enough, don't have enough money, blah blah, but then the next time you see them they're wearing a new shirt, or driving a new car, got a new toy, etc. and are still complaining about being broke.

A three bedroom house in Los Angeles around 1600 square feet on .15 acres of land will cost you about $380,000 right now. This is land you can't do anything on without someones permission. the same home in Henryetta Oklahoma can be had for about $30,000 but the problem is it's on an acre of land so I guess you'll have to do a little more yard work. $350,000 will buy one heck of a lawn mower. this doesn't even include just buying raw land where there are no restrictions or CCR's written by a bunch of nimby's.

There are nations where they are so crowded together they are instituting plans to control the population yet we crowd together on purpose while we leave perfectly good land we cold spread out on but that would require real work to live on rather than being spoiled and having others do it for you. I know people that own their homes free and clear in Southern California yet complain daily that the utility rates and other costs are too high and they don't know how they're going to make it. I tell them it's easy, sell your house move to a different state and buy one for a third of the price and retire on the balance. I then hear the excuses of I don't want to drive in the snow, it's too cold, they have tornadoes, it rains to much, etc. They're spoiled.

As for me and mine, we're out of here just as soon as it's feasibly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment